January 4, 2010

Salsa Chicken

My mom and I made this last week, and it was so good and very easy. Jason said it was the best and most moist chicken he has had ever!


Salsa Chicken

1 T cumin
1 T chili powder
1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 t. sea salt
1 t. pepper
lime juice
4 chicken breasts
16 oz jar of salsa (My fave is Safeway Select Black Bean Salsa)

Make a rub using the cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Rub over 4 chicken breasts that have been patted dry with paper towel. Spray a 9x13 pan (I use olive oil spray) lightly and then put chicken down in pan. I only season the top side, which seems to be plenty. Give each of the breasts a squirt of lime juice if you have it.

Dump the salsa over the top of the chicken breasts, and cook uncovered at 350 for 30-45 minutes. Cut into the fattest breast when you think you are done to make sure there is no pink left. Add some shredded cheddar cheese for the last 10 minutes of cooking time. (I did this after I cut into the first breast. I didnt see any pink for sure, but it seemed a little too juicy still, so I added cheese and cooked for 10 more minutes, and it was very moist still.)

I served with Spanish Rice (Mahatma brand, but you can also use white rice seasoned with chicken rub and some salsa) and a can of black beans, which I added some chili powder and cumin to and simmered for 10-15 minutes, to help the juice thicken a bit.

Yummy and healthy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment