January 15, 2010

Santa Fe Rice and Beans


I made this once and modified the original recipe so much that I am going to call it my own. This reheats really well and is a tasty and filling lunch as leftovers.

Santa Fe Rice and Beans

1 T. olive oil
1/2 C. onion, chopped
2 C. long grain rice*
2 C. water
1 can (14.5 oz) chicken brother (water is OK if you are in a pinch)
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. salt
black pepper to taste
1 cup corn, thawed
1 can black beans, drained
1 can pinto beans, drained
1 can enchillada sauce, I use red
1 can (4 oz) diced chiles, drained
1/2 C. sour cream
2 cups cheddar jack cheese, shredded

In a large saucepan over medium heat, warm oil and saute onion until soft, about 5 minutes. Add rice and stir to coat. Stir in water, broth, cumin, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cook until liquid is absorbed, about 25 mintues. Remove lid and cool slightly. Gently stir in corn, chiles, beans, enchillada sauce and sour cream.

Preheat oven to 350. Transfer rice mixture to a sprayed casserole dish and top with cheese. Bake uncovered until heated through and cheese is melted, about 20 minutes.

*You can probably make this with pre-cooked rice too. I have a rice cooker that I love and I think that might be easier and still taste just as good. Omit the water and chicken stock if your rice is cooked already.

No comments:

Post a Comment