January 4, 2010

Salmon


Whenever I eat salmon, I always feel like a hero to my body. Sometimes, there are some foods that when you eat them, you can almost hear your body saying "Thank You!" It feels even better when I see my boy, and now Jason eating salmon too. Those Omega 3 fatty acids are supposed to be good for brain development and Christopher especially LOVES salmon.

Lately when I have been making it, I have been creating a sort of "Salmon Sampler Platter" where I have several peices but each is prepared a different way. If I remember, I thaw it out in the fridge the night before- but each cut doesn't take too long to thaw. I've gone from frozen to cooking within 20 minutes before by soaking the salmon, still in its vacuum sealed bag in warm water.

I know that wild salmon is supposed to be better than farm-raised, but I just buy the bag of frozen salmon from Costco. Once the salmon is thawed out, open the package and pat it dry with a paper towel. I always forget this step, but just in case you don't, try to remember to feel it to make sure there are no tiny bones left. Last time I ate a bone and it was too far down my throat by the time I realized it. Oops! (I lived so its no big deal if it happens.)

For all the prep methods, I like to bake and broil my salmon. It is easiest and I think cooks it the best. Spray a cookie sheet with olive oil spray. Place seasoned salmon on the cookie sheet. Sometimes I spray the salmon lightly just to help add to the "crunch" factor. Bake for at least 10-12 minutes on one of the highest racks in the oven (about 3-4" from top) at about 400 or so, and then crank up the broiler and give it 3 minutes or so. Watch closely so you don't burn it! I like my salmon well-done. I hear people sometimes say that "salmon can be too dry" but I have not ever felt that way- so if you have, you may not want to cook it as long.

Salmon Rub
This is supposed to be enough for about 5 lbs of fish. I make the spice rub and keep it in a plastic bag to use later.
3 T. brown sugar
2 T. paprika
2 t. kosher salt
1 1/2 t. black pepper
1 t. thyme

Mix it all together and then pat liberally on the fish. The fish will get really red from the paprka and look spicy, but it isn't. Christopher loves this and it is my favorite as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment