July 19, 2011

Panini's



So the kids and I visited Grandma and Aunt Kat in early June, and Grandma had a panini press that I fell in  love with.  Christopher and I must've eaten ten panini's in the seven days we were there.  I always used to make fun of people who had panini presses- it seems like such a waste of counter space, and the appliances that only do one thing seem so frivolous.  Now, I see how useful they are.  Here's why: They heat up super quick- you can go from hungry and wondering what to make to full in under fifteen minutes.  They are easy to clean up- wipe down and call it good.  They make the nice grill marks- you eat with your eyes first, right?  Here's what I do.

Fresh and crusty bread- the good stuff.  Sourdough or the Pugliese (supposed to be a cross between sourdough and french) work nice
Olive Oil (or any) cooking spray (you can use olive oil if you like, but I save the calories and go for the spray)
Turkey, or that Buffalo Chicken, sliced
Salami if you have it (adds a nice flavor)
Cheddar Cheese, or Provolone, or Swiss, or all

Preheat the panini press and then hit it with the cooking spray.  Build your sandwich while it is preheating.  Cook your sandwich while you are putting away all of your toppings and cleaning off your counter, or whatever ADD thing you have to do in the kitchen while you wait. (Maybe that's just me?)  Check your sandwich after 3-6 minutes, until it is as brown as you like.  Slice in half and enjoy!

PS I am looking for more ideas of things to make- but my dear friend Mandi said she made a Peanut Butter Banana Panini.  I am impressed!  I know you can also make a mean grilled cheese this way.

PS Again - Look how happy this panini was for my boy in LA!  Any food that lends itself to faces is a sure hit in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment