June 2, 2012

Slow Cooker Lentil Soup





Made this with my sister Kat in the slow cooker also, and it was thick and delicious and healthy and inexpensive.  Rumor is that it is better on Day 2, but I had to leave town before trying it again.  When we made it, we sauteed the veggies first, but I think next time, I'll just throw it all in the slow cooker raw. 


Slow Cooker Lentil Soup 

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil (probably don't need this if not sauteing...)
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 1-2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 3+ carrots, diced (I like more)
  • 3+ stalks celery, diced (I like more)
  • 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes 
  • 1 bag of lentils
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black petter
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 7 3/4 cups chicken stock (you can sub in 3/4 C. white wine if you like, I stuck to stock)
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 turkey kielbasa, cubed (you could use another ham type meat as well)

  • grated Parmesan cheese
fresh parsley, chopped (pretty but optional)
crusty bread for dipping


Maybe...curry powder?  


Add all the ingredients to the slow cooker, set on high for 4-5 hours or low for 8-10.  

No comments:

Post a Comment