April 13, 2010

Chocolate Ganache


So my friend made me some "going away" cupcakes before my last day of student teaching, and she used Chocolate Fudge cake mix for the cupcakes and frosted it with this ganache, and they were AMAZING. Dare I say that ganache is even better than your standard frosting? It seemed a little dressier but still just as tasty- which I find that sometimes you have to sacrifice for the pretty stuff. NOT that it is a worthy sacrifice in those cases! Anyway, next time I make chocolate cupcakes, I think I will use this recipe to top them. Enjoy!

Chocolate Ganache

2 ounces unsweetened chocolate (Bakers makes this)***
1/4 cup butter
1/8 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. vanilla
2 cups powder sugar (more if needed)
cream (or milk will work) to thin to consistency you desire.

Melt chocolate and butter in microwave safe bowl. Add salt and vanilla. Stir in powder sugar and add enough milk to make it liquid but not too thin. Dip whatever you'd like in it. Cupcakes, marshmallows, graham crackers, strawberries, bananas... yum!

***I just discovered today that you can also do this with melted butter and semisweet chocolate chips- just add the sugar until it seems right.  Good to know, because I always have chocolate chips on hand but rarely do I have unsweetened chocolate!  

No comments:

Post a Comment