February 22, 2015

Chicken Enchiladas



Walked my a colleague's classroom right before Christmas and she called me in and offered me some enchiladas.  It was early in the day, maybe 9:45 AM, and I wasn't even in a lunch food mood, but these turned me around.  I tracked her down and she was generous enough to share her recipe with me.  Just made it tonight for the family and everyone loved it, so it will definitely happen again.

Chicken Enchiladas
1 lb. shredded chicken
1 can of Las Palmas enchilada sauce
8 oz. shredded cheddar
8 oz. shredded monterey or colby jack
1 small can sliced black olives
corn tortillas
green onion, optional
cilantro, optional
black olives, optional

Combine the shredded chicken with about equal parts of cheese and maybe some black olives and cumin sprinkled in until it is all mixed.  (You can make the shredded chicken in the slow cooker in advance, or just buy the pre-made shredded chicken near the BBQ puled pork in the grocery store.  If you use the grocery store stuff, make sure you squeeze it out before mixing it up.)  Heat the corn tortillas on a skilled just until warm, if you feel like it.  I got carried away and forgot to do this part way through and it seemed to still work just fine.  Dip a tortilla in the can of sauce and then add a handful of the chicken mixture.  Roll it up and place it seam side down against the edge of a 9x13 pan.  (I use my big lasagna pan.)  Repeat with remaining tortillas and fill the pan.  I had probably ten going length wise and then two rows of two on the remaining side, and then half of two below it to fill the pan.  Pour a little bit more sauce over the top, cover with cheese (generously) and then sprinkle with black olives and green onion if you have it.  Bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes, or until bubbly.  It doesn't need to be covered and seemed to cook up just fine.  Let it stand for five minutes before serving.  I like to garnish with sour cream, green onion and cilantro, if you have it!




No comments:

Post a Comment