January 27, 2013

Hell's Fire Chips



So my good friend Nicole had a birthday a few weeks ago and we all went to her favorite spot, AZ88 in Scottsdale.  She's been raving about their food forever, specifically these Hell's Fire Chips and get this- their Grilled Cheese!  After finally going to see what it was all about, I have to say she's right, even the grilled cheese knocked my socks off.  But these chips were the star of the show.  The kids and I attempted to make them on my own the next day, unsuccessfully, but I think there's enough potential here that if I publish this, then maybe I can remember it and mess around with the recipe enough to figure it out.  Here's hoping!

Hell's Fire Chips
potatoes, washed and thinly sliced
Arizona Gunslinger hot sauce, or another brand - maybe Frank's would work?
bleu cheese crumbles (weird but it works)
cooking spray
salt and pepper

Wash and thinly slice the potatoes.  I don't fry things at home so spray a cookie sheet well, lay the potato slices down, being careful not to overlap, and then spray them again.  Salt and pepper and bake at 400ish (maybe more?) for 10-20 minutes, flipping once.  Ideally, they will get a sort of golden-brown.  I found that some did and some didn't, but the yummier ones did.  Let's assume that they all turn out.  Scoop them on to one cookie sheet, overlapping this time, sprinkle with hot sauce and bleu cheese, and then broil for just a minute or two, until the cheese melts.  Serve and devour!  :-)


Update: Talked again to Nicole about this and her Aunt asked them at AZ88 how they do it.  The trick is to fry them in peanut oil when it is SUPER hot (use the wooden spoon trick: dip the top of it in, if it bubbles, it's ready, if it doesn't, then wait a little longer, get a fresh wooden spoon and try again) and flash fry them.  Sprinkle the cheese immediately after removing from the oil.  They use Arizona Gunslinger Hot Sauce.  YUMMO. 

1 comment:

  1. AnonymousJune 30, 2013

    I love this restaurant and this is my favorite item on their list.
    I made some Jumbo Buffalo Shrimp with homemade blue cheese dip and I was looking for a way to use the last of this blue cheese.

    I thought of this and low and behold I come across your blog. Thank you and thank Nicole's Aunt!

    Marcus

    Can Nicole's Aunt get the recipe for the dipping sauce for french fries at Delux Burger? :)

    ReplyDelete