April 7, 2012

Ice Cream Cake




I made an ice cream cake for Christopher’s 6th birthday and it turned out really good.  It was easy but you have to plan ahead- this isn’t one that you can throw together the day of.

Ice Cream Cake

3 bags of Oreo’s*
¼ C. of butter, melted
2 ½ gallons of ice cream*
3 jars of hot fudge sauce
Spray whipped cream, optional

Crumble your Oreo’s, I like the freezer bag and roller pin method but there are all sorts of ways to do this.  Mix about 2-3 C of crumbled Oreo’s with the melted butter, and press into the bottom of a (cooking sprayed) 9x13 pan.  I used my lasagna pan for this cake and it made a ton.  Pour some hot fudge sauce over the Oreo/butter mixture, and place the whole pan in the freezer for an hour or so.

Get the ice cream out of the freezer and let it warm up a little.  I put my two half gallons in my really big mixing bowl and stirred it up pretty well, so that it was easy to shape but still definitely frozen.  After the first hot fudge layer has hardened, smooth out a thick layer of ice cream on top.  I used all of my ice cream for this the first time I made it, but next time, I might just use half, then freeze that again until it gets firm, and then do another Oreo/hot fudge layer, freeze it until hard, and then dump out the rest of my ice cream.  Again, freeze the ice cream, and then dump the rest of the Oreo’s on top.  I cant remember if I froze the Oreo’s in place before I added the final layer of hot fudge, but it seems like a good idea.  Finally, apply a generous layer of hot fudge over the top of your frozen Oreo’s.  Let that freeze, preferably overnight.  Decorate the top as desired the next day, and dig in!  Serve with some whipped cream, if you like. 

This was SO good, much better than the ice cream cakes that you can buy, in my (not so) humble opinion.  Especially for the price! 

*For Christopher, we used Mint Cookie/Oreo/Hot Fudge.  I thought I’d be able to avoid most of it by choosing mint ice cream, since I am not such a big fan.  But it turns out that I really like Mint Cookie!  Not so big on Mint Chip.  There are any number of combinations that would be amazing.  The Oreo’s are a natural, but you could also do something peanut butter-y with Nutter Butter’s, maybe make your own Cold Stone Creamery peanut butter cup perfection with chopped almonds, Reese’s PB cups, peanut butter folded in, etc… 

No comments:

Post a Comment