May 12, 2010

Turkey Meat Loaf

In my former meat-eating days, I was NEVER a meat loaf person.  But I made this and it was REALLY really good, pretty easy and very satisfying.  Great with mashed (or roasted) potatoes and any veggie.  Using ground turkey makes this a little healthier than the ground beef version too, and the flavor is still great. 

Turkey Meat Loaf
1/2 envelope of Lipton Onion Soup Mix
1-1 1/4 lb. ground turkey
strong heaping 1/3 c. of bread crumbs (1/2 of 3/4)
1 egg
1/2 of 3/4 c. water
1/6 c. spaghetti sauce

Preheat oven to 350.  In large bowl, combine all ingredients.  In a 13x9 pan, shape into loaf.  I did mine kind of rectangular, probably an inch and a half high and maybe 5" wide and 11" long, maybe.  Bake 1 hour or until done, let stand 10 minutes before serving. 

If you want to, you can drizzle some ketchup (or spaghetti sauce?) over the top for the last 10-15 minutes so it cooks on in a glaze form.  We dipped ours with ketchup and it was also really good.

Our family of 2.5 ate about half the loaf on the original night we made it.  A few days later, I reheated the leftovers, wrapped in foil- in the oven for probably 45 minutes or so at 350, and the leftovers were JUST AS GOOD as the original!  I halved the recipe above because I knew it would be WAY too much to use 2 lbs. of meat for just us- but I think you could double this and pre-cook both loaves, and re-heat the second one later. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment